Producing a state change in yourself or your client can be extremely useful when dealing with difficult situations. Often the Practitioner or client will become stuck in an unresourceful state which can stop any form of change work from being effective. In these situations the ability to influence and initiate a change in state will be able to instantly turn around a client.
State management and state induction is one of the primary skills that an NLP Practitioner needs on tap and is one of the skills that can be practiced at any time. Clients will expect the Practitioner to be at their best at all times and the easiest way to achieve this is by being able to effectively induce emotional states in oneself.
Identify Resourceful States
Before beginning on the technique it is a good idea to think about some of the most useful states to have on hand. Motivation, Excitement and Energetic are all useful states to have, but so are Calmness, Humility and Compassion, there are no right or wrong states and the best ones to have on hand are the ones that you will find the most effective.
Your Clients are likely to want different states from you and you will need to be able to go into those emotional states at will to encourage your clients. As an NLP Practitioner it is vital that you practice entering a large variety of emotional stated so that you can lead your clients when the need arises and this technique will help you to build a portfolio of easy to access emotions.
- Select the State Pick the emotional state that you want to be able to access and identify a memory where you were in that state or imagine what it would be like (act as-if). Step in to first position (associated) and take notice of all of the representational system modalities. Create a simple reference with something from each of the representation systems e.g. visual image, auditory sounds/speech,kinesthetic feeling and internal dialog etc.
- Build References Add in to the representation other memories that relate to or have an essence of the state being built. Even if there are only slight similarities it is worth adding them in to the mix. Extract from these memories additional representations that can be added to those already held, remember to put them into their appropriate representation system.
- Amplify The State Shift the submodalities to increase power of the target state. Play with all of the submodalities across the representation systems to build the intensity of the feeling. Try and identify which of the submodalities are the main drivers and enhance these. Look for complimentary states that can be used to enhance the target state and ‘borrow’ their reference submodalities.
- Flood Kinesthetics Take the kinethetic feelings of the newly amplified state and flood throughout the body to fully experience the intense emotion.
- Anchor & Test Create an anchor for the State. Break state. Test anchor.